Being a lesbian can be so fun.
If we focus exclusively on the positives now and not think about how perilous it is possible, it’s one of my favorite things to be. I wanted to know what other wlw felt about being wlw, so I decided to conduct research studies. My target audience was all of my friends who identified as a lesbian or felt pleasant being referred to as a lesbian in a group, regardless of their gender name. I started by putting a small sample size of 17 dykes in one group and asked them all to text me their favorite thing about being gay. The gossip explosion immediately and soon these 17 lesbian strangers were firing off pictures of Dakota Johnson and Zendaya in suits.
Editor’s Note: Can establish.
Once I encountered that they had a lot to say, I took it even wider. I culminated up querying 30 lesbians what their favorite thing about being gay is, and this is what they said 😛 TAGEND
1. “My favorite thing about being lesbian is you always have a strong connection with brand-new lesbian people you fill because you’re like’ wow, you get me.’ Honorable mentionables include a larger closet, someone to do my eyebrows, and boobs.” — Dalia, 26, my girlfriend
2. “How you never have to ask a girl’ what’s on your mind’ because women will just tell you every thought they ever had or thought about having.” — Jess, 25, high school bestie( too first queer friend !)
3. “I cherished when I discover another maybe-gay in public and we both try to act gayer to get the other ones’ attention to make a silent connection. It’s like when hounds investigate other bird-dogs and they get really excited.” — Dilean, 22, co-worker
4. “I cherished the connection and sense of community. Like if you encounter someone else that’s gay you already understand a lot of each other’s experiences and it’s just funny how same a lot of gay parties are growing up or merely living life. Likewise tiddies“ — Rachel O ., 22, Dilean’s girlfriend
5. “I definitely sounds like I can be myself? Idk how to answer the question.” — Charlotte, 21, my cousin
6. “My favorite division about being lesbian is that my being out to be translated into my ability to meet so many amazing people and make a ton of friends. I wouldn’t be friends with half the people I’m friends with now if I wasn’t proudly out.” — Rachel B ., 24, my sweetheart used to work with her and then they met a lesbian basketball conference together
7. “Having something that easily allows me to connect with others and bond over. I have induced countless amazing love and attachments through the LGBTQ+ web various regions of the world. Also, it has allowed me to experience the world in a different ignited than I otherwise would( for better or worse ). ” — Emma, 24, Rachel B.’s girlfriend who are participating in the stands with me at lesbian basketball league games
8. “I think my favorite one of the purposes of being homosexual is that it gives me the chance to be an original. Regrettably, it’s not a very common thing yet to be gay, and we’re still at a sit in civilization where being lesbian is often talked about as someone’s defining trait and not just a small part of them, so it’s not always a happy thing, but it does give me the opportunity to be a little different in any way that I crave, and I think that’s pretty cool.” — Lea, 24, Rachel B.’s college roommate
9. “During my pinnacle know-hows of comp het, contemplates of interactions hopes( ex. Having to carry a babe/ try a biological maternity with a spouse, needing to stay young/ charming/ fit to conciliate a spouse/ bf, gender having to include penetration, scraping, having to fulfill sure-fire dwelling roles, etc .) was peculiarly anxiety-inducing, because parts of me knew I didn’t demand those. After coming out and living my truth so many things lifted for me. Like it was the first time ever I wasn’t on a nutrition or drastically trying to change some part of my torso, or having so much stress before a first date, because so many of those societal stress precisely don’t apply to a wlw relationship.” — Dom O ., 25, college friend
10. “Probably the high likelihood of double-faced my wardrobe, but I’m sure that’s a popular answer. Another answer= dual income no kids disposable income possibilities” — Amy. 38, my next-door neighbor
11. “The style.” — Anonymous, 23, we were both performing at the same comedy open mic
12. “Probably fuckin’ girls is my# 1. ” — Kelly, 22, dating above lesbian, also met at a comedy open mic
13. “I have two favorite things about being gay!
“1. My family is Italian, so I grew up genuinely internalizing words about a man’s role and a woman’s role. I’ve expended a lot of time thinking about this, and ultimately … I DO prefer traditionally feminine and domestic personas. I like to nurture. I like to take care of my home. It originates me happy to do that stuff for the person or persons I desire. My partner is much more butch and does like to gravitate toward more traditionally’ manly’ characters. Of route, we digress from that here and there, but often, we follow a predictable trajectory. But what I like about being fag, is that I know, without a shadow of a incredulity, that we are CHOOSING it. We started a relationship based on what works for us and what we’re cozy with, after exploring what we wanted , not based on what civilization prescribes we do. In a straight relationship, I foresee I’d always wonder if specific roles were* expected* of me. I am grateful every day that I don’t have to wonder about that.
“2. The orgasms.” — Veronica, 31, former boss and current mentor
14. “It’s doing whatever the fuck you want. Don’t have to live by any preconceived limits on gender expression or literally any other societal apprehensions on yourself, your interests, your bridal, your marriage … entirely breaking out of the box. And tits of course.” — Taylor, 31, Veronica’s partner
15. “My fave thing about being lesbian is our ability to take anything and make it lesbian/ fag/ homosexual/ sapphic culture. Sitting weird? Gay. Cuffing your drapes? Gay. Wanting to own a raise? Queer as fuck. Patterned button-downs? Lesbiiiiannnn. Cate Blanchett? Nope sorry she’s ours now.” — Kendra, 31, onetime coworker and current editor
16. “One of my favorite about being a lesbian is the constant understanding of what the other person is going through. If that represents how civilization looks at us or just how we process our everyday lives. Communication is a key parcel of what I expect in such relationships and I’m thrilled to have a partner that knows this just as valuable. Likewise, a double cupboard is an awesome perk! “ — Liz, 25, met at’ The L Word’ Trivia
17. “Okay I would say what I love about being a lesbian is two different things.
“So one would be of course that I foresee the friendship between two women is so different and I absolutely don’t feel I could ever be fully seen and known by a being. Like men and women are socialized so differently that we have such excessively different life ordeals. So the shared knowing between wives is unbelievable to me.
“And then the second thing( which is kind of based on how fucked up and homophobic our society is) is actually coming out older. As much pain as it is, and I care I had had the tools and understanding to know who I was and had different experiences, I actually various kinds of love having come out later because I have gotten to have the moments of like’ holy shit this is what it’s supposed to feel like? ’ Sometimes I will be having sex with a woman and be like’ holy excrement I cannot conclude I roughly missed this !!! ’” — Abby W ., 25, match on Instagram because she was loping a meme sheet and I had a lesbian podcast
18. “I’d have to say my favorite thing about being homosexual is knowing that I will literally ever have at least five reciprocal connections with anyone I go on a appointment with.” — Casey, 23, converge on social media somehow
19. “I’d say my favorite percentage if I certainly had to pick would be the sex. There’s just something so vital about lesbian sexuality. Like all the times the world has told you that being lesbian is wrong, we’ve all heard it wherever it came from, that we’re probably going to hell for it, and then to feel something so strongly you literally can’t help but do it regardless and in defiance of all that bullshit is so strong for me. Plus, lesbian fornication stones. It’s the best thing ever. It’s all about gratification and there’s something actually meaningful in that give and take.” — Shannon, 28, scribe friend
20. “It’s girls’ night every night.” — Emily, 29, Shannon’s wife
21. “The best part about being homosexual is being in a relationship free of societal criteria and expectations. We’re both free to be whoever we are. I’ve dated workers before and there was always the expectation on me as a woman to fit into the box of whatever he visualized the status of women was. I never felt like I was enough- not pliant fairly , not pretty enough , not smart enough. Or like I was too much — more outspoken, more sex, extremely feelings. I’ve been able to find someone who loves and feeds me to be all of me formerly I stopped dating men. Also, boobs.” — Olivia, 23, met in Greek Life, reconnected after being lesbian on social media
22. “My favorite thing about being lesbian is the mystical vigor that selects me to other homosexual parties and drafts other gay beings to me. I know we like to joke about it, but there’s something spiritual about gay magnetism for me. I know whatever space I’m in I’ll be able to find support and substantiate others, and that feels like a gift.” — Abby, 20, my brother’s girlfriend’s sister
23. “My favorite thing is that we have a subculture that’s would be affected by one tonne of other cultures that’s unique to how we walk through the world.” — Dom P ., 26, fill on social media somehow
24. “It’s given me a deeper appreciation for all maturity and being removed from workers has given me an objectively deeper understanding of feminism.” — Sarah, 28, Dom P.’s wife
25. “What I love most about being lesbian is the badass awesome community it brought together! I love the connection, I desire the gaiety, I affection that you know for a fact each and every one of us has a different story but we can all relate in some sort of way. Idk I cherish all of it man. But chiefly the tits. Especially Kelsey’s.” — Mariah, 26, high school acquaintance, reconnected after being lesbian on social media
26. “My favorite thing about being lesbian is there is no set of strict rules or pressing a relationship must follow. You and your collaborator are allowed to decide what’s right for your relationship. There is so much more freedom in a wlw society! Also, a better understanding of basic prepare and not smelling like Axe Body Spray and rotten Monster Energy is a plus! ” — Kelsey, 27, Mariah’s girlfriend
27. “The best part about being a lesbian is finding empowerment within myself and other women on a deeper elevation that kind of violates the standards of heteronormativity. I think we are always received information that wives somehow need a gentleman in their life in some shape or kind. Knowing not only that I’m independent but that I also broke free from these obligatory heteronormative standards makes me feel sanctioned. I am happier than ever and affection engendering other lesbian females to explore themselves and to push the’ normal.’” — Allison, 22, sorority sister
28. “I learned that the channel I visualize women’s bodies is probably how other parties read my torso. Which is beautiful even if I feel bloated. It coached me to desire myself” — Hayley, 25, sorority sister
29. “Sharing a glance with another queer maid in public where you really* know* the other one is gay.” — Abby S ., 25, lived two doors down in my newcomer dorm
30. “Is it lame that my favorite fraction about being gay is just having a girlfriend? Like, I adoration her. That’s my favorite part.” — Ayana, 25, Abby S.’s girlfriend, met in freshman dorm and had Honors Human Sexuality class together
My favorite thing about being a lesbian you ask? Given the opportunity to employed 17 random dykes in a groupchat and watch them immediately make friends with each other.
Oh, and boobs.
Read more: thoughtcatalog.com